Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta


Oh, I loooooooove this cover!
 Title: Saving Francesca
Author: Melina Marchetta
Paperback, 243 pages
Published May 9th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers


I don't know what to say. I am spechlees.
It's my first time reading Melina Marchetta, and I must confess was a bit reluctant at first...
I did not know what expect, but I can tell you this: never in a million years did I think I was gonna love this as much as I did!


This book starts off with Francesca, a 16 year old Australian-born-Italian-raised girl, complaining about her mother, who is that kind of person that has  so much life inside her + an excellent personality that is only annoying because we all wish we could be like them. Only Francesca doesn't realize that she's just like that, but she's been restraining herself for most of her life.


Francesca also likes to complain about her new school, a school with 700+ boys and ONLY 30 GIRLS! So the fact that there are so few girls there forces Francesca to hang out with girls she never wanted to before. The nerd, the slut and the protester.
Slowly, Francesca (or Frankie) starts to realize that things have never been as simple as she thought they were. You can't just put labels on people without knowing them, without giving yourself the chance to know them.


I loved the character's growth all through the book. Most of this people have know eachother for many, many years yet they are practically strangers, but when tragedy strickes Francesca's household, she starts seeing the world with new eyes and although she's hurting, she's also discovering what a great world this one can be if only you have the right people supporting you and loving you.


I've always said that a sign of a good book is that you can connect with its voice.
I loved Francesca since the beggining, she's relatable even though I've never been in a situation like the one she's having. It's a good sign when you care more about the main character's actions than the ones done by the hot, cute guy that's after her.


Because lately all everyone seem to remember these days is how hot and smart the guy was and they don't even know the name of the girl. I like when I get so absorbed in the main girl's head that I don't even realize I'm falling for the secondary characters aswell.
The other characters in this book were also fabulous! from Frankie's 3 girl best friends who were much more deep than what meets the eye, to the hard-on-the-outside-sweet-on-the-inside guys: Jimmy who was so incredibly kind and understending with Frankie's mom, to Will the nerdy pacifier everybody loves, to Thomas, oh Thomas he was the kind of guy that would hang this sign outside his door...


... but then he'd be the first to befriend the girls and help them while in need. He was awesome! <3
*sigh* 
Sadly, I can't express how much I loved this story of growing up and learning to cope with unexpected situations that can shake our world but can also bring a new meaning to our lives. I laughed my head off, cried like a baby, shout at the pages, died of embarrasment and practically kissed this book full in the mouth (wherever that is), and that is all I can ask for whenever I read a book.

From now on I'm in love with Aussie books! <3

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Melina Marchetta yet but it looks very sheek and teenybopper maybe I'll snag a copy if I get the chance.That sign really made me laugh and I agree a great book connection is definitely one sign of a good book.Thanks for dropping by my blog keep up the awesome book reviews ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Congratulations! you just won 6 awards claim it here ^_^

    http://kimyunalesca.blogspot.com/2011/07/you-deserve-these.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Saving Francesca. It was my first Marchetta read too. I had heard so much about On the Jellicoe Road, so I read it next, and it was also awesome, but, not as awesome as Saving Francesca. Such a small book with such a big punch. The characters were amazing. Oh, did you know her work The Piper's Son features Thomas? Just a little info:) I'm reading Finnikin and the Rock next to see if she's as good at writing fantasy.

    Great review! Made me want to reread it and post my own review! New follower and subscriber:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!