Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review: Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers


Title: Fall for Anything
Author: Courtney Summers <3
Paperback, 230 pages
Published December 21st 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin
I'm in love with Courtney's writting, seriously in love.
It's so captivating, so raw, beautiful, real and so haunting.
Her third novel is no exception.

Fall for Anything is a novel about a girl looking for answers, the answer to why her loving father commited suicide.
But if you've read Summers before, or if you don't I'll tell you:  This is not your typical grief-post-death-of-a-loved-one book. This is much more.


The story is so interesting, Eddie doesn't know what's going on, her father killed himself and no one knows why, her mom is a zombie that wears her husband's housecoat all the time, Beth (her mom's high school best friend) keeps bugging her about seeing the bright side of life, and her best friend Milo is drifting away from her.
So you can she why she's so overwhelmed, she's falling apart.

That's why when the strange new guy Culler walks into her life saying he was a student of his father, she feels a connection, he misses her father as much as she does. And she sees in him the life saver she needs, an escape of her life. Then Culler finds some clues that might led her to find out why his father off himself, and she accepts Culler's help to follow the clues and try to find out the reasons her father had.
 
Eddie is such a kick-ass girl. She's broken, but she has set her mind to this. And she will find answers. I'm still thinking about everything she did in the book, how she handle everything, I can't blame her for some decitions she made. Even though sometimes they were obviously the wrong ones. My toes still curl at the thought of being in her place, but I would probably have given up in the journey. She didn't. Even though the answers she finds are...
well it's better if I don't spoil.

 
And then there's bestfriend Milo. I loved Milo. I wish I had a best friend like him. He's everything best friends should be. Supportive, loyal and nonjudgemental. He was so brilliantly writen (he's a boy, boys are difficult to write). So perfectly always there, with the perfect amount of loving and care, and concern and scolding. I don't know what would have happened to Eddie without him.

I don't want to spoil anything but I just need to say that Culler... Culler... ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH.


And as I finished my mind kept wandering to Fritz Perls words, how he said 'the present is all that matters' and I realized never, not in one page, I found myself thinking about what was going to happen in the book, I was so concentrated in the present, my mind was taking it all in, not wandering to what will happen but what is happening. And I've never experienced that before. I'm the kind of girl who speculates and creates theories, and can't help but wonder about the end,  is it gonna be happy?, will x and y be together?, will the answer be given? This time I didn't care, I was engrosed in the present like I've never been. Not even in real life.
This book is fantastic and I don't know what to say to make people read it. You just need to.
Once again Courtney Summers has done it. She wrote a book that's gonna stay with me forever. 
____
And a little random thought:
I just think the song Broken by Lifehouse is perfect for this book.
Well, not totally perfect, but as I read the first few chapters, it popped in my head and I realized it fit very well.

Absolutely loved it!
Favorite!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!