Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Title: Texas Gothic
Author: Rosemary Clement-Moore
Published July 12th 2011 by Random House Children's Books.
Goodreads | Amazon

__________________________________


I don't know why I seem to love books about people who see ghosts so much. Maybe because these people are always so brave and funny and witty.
Texas Gothic was NOT the exception.

I loved it so much that in fact I told myself to sleep on it and write the review later. (Usually, I write my reviews right after I'm finished so I'm always VERY passionate about my feelings), this time, though I decided to take some time and really analyze if I truly liked this book.
Turns out, the next morning I was as much in love with this as I was the moment I finished it.

This story is about Amy, who comes from a literally extraordinary family. Everyone in her family is either a witch or a psychic or a ghost whisperer or something even weirder. But Amy does not like that life, she doesn't like people making fun of her family's excentricities so she's in charge of making them appear normal, at least in public.
But right now there's this ghost who has chosen to haunt Amy, and she must do something to get him off of her back before he ruins her summer.


Also? Amaryllis is Amy's full name. Which is hilarious. You'll see.


I really enjoyed reading a story about older Young Adults, everyone has already graduated high school, so the drama was a bit less dramatic, and more entretaining and relatable.
 
 
This book starts off AMAZING. Most entretaining beginning of a story I've EVER read.
You see, I'm busy. I'm in med school, I'm taking Phreaking Pharmacology right now. I don't have time to waste, and I certainly don't want to wait 100 pages until the good stuff comes, so boy was I glad that this book just went straight ahead to the funny and sexy and the chemistry and the shirtless cowboys.
 
 
Moving on to the romance, I adore this couple. Amy & Ben. Ben & Amy. Me loves <3.
They're so perfect for each other, and so cute! And all of their scenes are extremely entretaining, that I had to read them twice. The way they met is so HILARIOUS, I will not spoil, but I have to tell you that it involves a mini-cooper, a cow with an itch in her butt, cherry-pattern underwear and sexy horse back riding. Oh and some crazy goats.
 
 
Thinking of all the great stories these two went through makes me smile as I imagine Ben & Amy telling the stories to their kids, (leaving the underwear part out, of course) they are the greatest stories ever!
I would seriously die of excitement if my dad told me he once rescued my mom from a hole in the ground filled with bat guano.
 
 
The only thing that stopped me from giving it the 5 hearts, though, was that some parts about the ghost detecting gadgets and stuff like that were kinda boring and like I said, I don't want to waste brain-space learning about how to record ghosts noises.


But it was a great book overall!


Favorite quote:
 
 
He sighed. “It was, Amy, because you’re you. You’re the most dangerous one of all, because people can’t see you coming. They just think you’re this quirky, nosy, annoying, adorable girl who yells at cows in her underwear. Then before they know it, they’re relying on spells instead of good sense.”





2 comments:

  1. I want to read this one! I've wanted to read it pretty much from the moment I heard that there are hot cowboys in it :) I'm glad that you liked it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing negative I can say. Lots of laughs. Great characters, good story line, a romantic love story, and perfect prose that pulls you in. If you need a literary vacation then pick up a copy of Texas Gothic and get completely entrench by the writing.

    Marlene
    Seattle Horizontal Drilling

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!