Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Title: This Is Not a Test
Author: Courtney Summers
Published June 19th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon
_____________________________________



Attention Please, we interrupt this program, with some disturbing news, world-wide evacuation, we're going to lose, they've pulverized our nation...
This Is Not A Test has been on the back of my mind for a long, long time. Ever since I first heard Courtney was writing this book, I kept thinking of the levels of awesome it could reach. The waiting was long and cruel, and everyone seemed to have read it already. My heart couldn’t take it much longer, and then suddenly the day was here. I DEVOURED THIS BOOK. And it’s been at the back of my mind ever since.
Since I was already a fan of Courtney, I knew what I was getting into but still, nothing can prepare you to the punch in the gut this book is. For real, it is an epic punch in the gut that extends for pages and pages of heartbreaking goodness. The story is simple enough: 6 teenagers are trapped in a high school building after escaped what seemed to be the end of the world as we know it. That’s the beauty of this book, simple story, incredibly complex characters.
Sloane Price is our main character; the end of the world seems to be happening the same day she chose to end her life. Bold and ironic, I was hooked. While everyone else is fighting to survive she is looking for a way to give up.
The rest of the cast is amazing too, these teenagers add so much to the story, each shining their own light.

·        Cary. He is the “leader” of the group, well for some of them, because after what happened at the start of this whole revolution, some members of the group want him gone for good.

·         Rhys. The careless guy that spend his high school days smoking at the back of the building. His locker was across from Sloane’s, and he has taken her under his wing.

·         Trace & Grace. Twins. They lost their parents and didn’t seem to recover from the blow, but they still have each other, that’s a thousand times more than any of the other teens have.

·         Harrison. No one knew him from “before”. He is a freshman that only seems to be dead weight. He cries a lot.


Each of these characters has their own personality, their own story, and their own uniqueness that made it impossible to confuse them. Each of them teaches you a different side of life, and makes you question what you would have done in their place.

I don’t want to say more, because it’s better if you experience this book going without knowing too much before. I can only say that it’s a sad yet hopeful ride. I loved the thrill I got all throughout and I loved the characters too much. Same beautiful prose that Courtney is known for, and perfect unraveling of an incredible story. I wish it hadn’t end!



I didn't see this coming.
A much needed spark of love.
We found love in a hopeless place (8)






On a sidenote: I loved this book, it was spectacular; however, it didn’t reach the level of love I thought it would. Some Girls Are & Cracked Up To Be are still my first and second in the Courtney Summers rank. Then Fall for Anything & this one tie for third.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it? Please share ;)

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by this author but I am looking forward to this book. I love survival books and when very different people are stuck together. I love to see what they do and what they won't do to survive. Sounds intense and heartbreaking. I hope I don't cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't cry, was to busy trying to breathe through the knot my throat had become, but I heard a lot of people cried.

      You should try it soon, Jennifer! It's a great book.

      Delete
  2. OK. Courtney Summers seems to have an army of fans. This was my first Summers book and I too DEVOURED IT. She has such a pretty writing style, no? So, a few days after reading this one, I realized that another blogging friend had loaned me Fall For Anything, which I read in like two hours because even though I don't *love* the issue-heavy contemporaries, I was eager to see what Summers' contemporaries were like. I was not disappointed at all. Now I'm on a quest to read the others, what you have deemed your favorites!

    Seriously, I loved this book. And again, the scene recreation is tops!

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!