Monday, September 3, 2012

Review: The Waiting Sky by Lara Zielin

Title: The Waiting Sky
Author: Lara Zielin
Published August 2nd 2012 by Putnam Juvenile
Goodreads | The Book Depository | Amazon
________________________________________



What can I tell you about this one? Even though it was interesting and fast paced enough to hold my attention, it still did nothing to stand out from the crowd of amazing YA contemporaries in the past. But anyway, I don’t regret reading it or anything as I enjoyed the story and the characters aswell.

Now this isn’t a romance (although it definitely has its moments), the book focuses in family issues instead. In Jane’s journey of letting go of all the dead-weight she’s been carrying for years. Jane’s mom is an alcoholic, and her brother Ethan left them both when he graduated High School to try and pursue a better life away from all the negativity in his home, Jane was crushed but also secretly envious of his brother’s ability to just walk away from all the problems, but now years later, and about to start her senior year, she’s wondering if maybe she should try what Ethan did, but how can she do it when she has experienced first-hand how awful it feels to be left behind?

But Ethan, who is a meteorologist, has invited Jane to spent the summer with him and his tornado chasing buddies; and after a horrible accident involving her best friend and her drunk mother, Jane is almost forced into taking the chance.

I liked to see Jane struggle, I wouldn’t have bought it if she would have just taken her suitcase and leave, but she didn’t. Jane weighted all of her options and sometimes it was hard to watch how involved and seemingly too absorbed in trying to fix her mom’s life she was, I would feel like shaking her at times, it was exasperating but also it ringed true.

Everyone in the tornado-chasing squad was awesome and all the chasing parts were pretty much my favorite, lots of action and cool descriptions. And everything you could ask for when you're reading about tornado-chasing.

I recommend it to people that like stories about family and moving on, with a touch of dangerous storms!



 

6 comments:

  1. I totally didn't realize this was a contemporary! In judging the book by the cover, I thought it was some sci-fi type thing because of the tornado in the jar...but then again I suppose I didn't read the synopsis well. Love the cover. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! very awesome and it's actually related to the story. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that this is focusing on family more so than romance-I have just been growing tired of a lot of YA romances and am looking for a change. I also love the focus on the weather as I was consumed with Hurricane Isaac coverage last week and I love learning abou that kind of stuff-hopefully I'll enjoy this more than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so obsessed with the weather I don't live in the path of hurricane Isaac but I was glued to the tv everytime they showed the graphs.

      I really enjoyed the story, (more than it comes across in the review) but I wrote this like a month after I read it so I guess the excitement had already passed ):

      Delete
  3. I haven't read my ARC for this yet, it seemed like a really emotional read that I have to be in the mood for. Thanks for your honest review!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to read this book. It really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!