Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Wait For You by J. Lynn

Title: Wait for you
Author: J Lynn
Contemporary New Adult
Published February 26th 2013 by J. Lynn
Goodreads // Amazon
______________________________________



So I keep giving this New Adult books a chance but there's something about them that just doesn't click with me. I mean, for what I've picked up the label is just a way of telling you that this story contains lots of explicit sex, because otherwise they're simply YA books to me. But whatever, Wait for You, despite its praise tricking me into believing this wasn't another cookie cutter book on rape, in my opinion, did nothing to stand out.
 
The characters were cliched and fairly boring, and the story streched out way more than it needed it too. In fact, I put down the book so much it took me 10 days to read it, that's the longest this year; and all because it just never got to the point, even though you could guess what had happened to Avery from page 20 or something.
 
I also didn't like Cameron Hamilton that much. He was just really unrealistic to me, like, what 21-year-old guy wakes up at 8 in the morning ON SUNDAYS to make breakfast for a girl who is not even his girlfriend? And then all his sexual innuendo had me cringing and clenching my teeth in exasperation.
 
What I did like about this book was that even though the Avery had done some pretty stupid things, like dropping the charges after what happened to her, she learned to let the guilt go and realized it wasn't her fault that the jerk got away with it and did it again. Because it's never the victim's fault and it should be acknowledged in every book about rape, I'm glad this wasn't the exception.
 
Other things I liked: the pet tortoise. I loved the pet tortoise, I used to have one too, she was the cutest but she died like a week after I got her and I didn't have the guts to replace her.
 
Sadly, overall the book didn't do much for me, and while I don't exactly regret reading it, I'm sure it won't be able to pass the time-test in my brain and I will probably end up forgeting about it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!