Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: Defy by Sara B. Larson

Title: Defy 
Author: Sara B. Larson
Expected publication: January 7th 2014 by Scholastic Press
Goodreads | AmazonThe Book Depository
Genre: Fantasy / Young Adult
_____________________________________


Defy is a story about a girl who pretends to be a boy in order to survive. We all have heard this before, from Shakespeare to She’s the man, this story is always a crowd pleaser so of course I was very excited to dig in.

Upon finishing this book, I found myself contradicted because I did like the book but mostly I had a hard time reading it. I’ll explain. Turns out our hero (or really, heroine) Alex is a very, very skilled warrior; she’s deadly with a sword and she never loses, which gave me a hard time believing someone who is only seventeen could be. So I had a horrible time at first, because my mind just couldn’t let me get pass all these things that had no explanation and just sounded so absolutely impossible to me, that I was mostly annoyed and didn’t want to keep going.

And then you also know how much I passionately hate love triangles. And this story is a big love triangle itself and my heart just couldn’t bother to fall for any of our two guys, even though they were both amazing, but I couldn’t invest myself in them because one of them was going to get his heart broken badly and I didn’t want that. And then Alexa annoyed me because she stretched the decision so much. So I just liked Eljin instead, a guy whose name I can’t even pronounce.

But since the book is coming out tomorrow, I put all my effort into finishing the last 40% today. I’m glad I did because the ending turned out to be really good, and although I did see some of the twists coming, I was still happy to see my predictions coming to life because they made the book so much interesting and awesome.


So at the end, I was satisfied with what I read although I wish the first half was a little more action-packed and the characters showed a little more feeling to give it that extra oomph it needs to be an amazing fantasy book. But nevertheless, the end made up for lots of the complains I had about the beginning. And I can also say that I was very happy with the fact that a girl accomplished so much through the story, I don't want to spoil it for you but I will say that I did feel proud of Alexa. Girl Power!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!