Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: The Rules for Breaking by Ashley Elston

Title: The Rules for Breaking
Author: Ashley Elston
Expected publication: May 20th 2014 by Disney Hyperion
Genre: YA contemporary, mystery, thriller
Goodreads | Amazon | Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
_________________________________________


 Remember that very intense wild hog chase in The Rules for Disappearing? Well The Rules for Breaking is one big wild hog chasing scene. So to speak.

I wasn't sure if I was going to remember quite a lot about Anna's story but as soon as I started reading this everything came back to me and it took only a few pages to have me fully invested and super excited again. Ethan and Anna's relationship was as adorable and sweet as ever. And as much as I lose myself in a good mystery, Ethan and Anna's romance was a constant presence in my mind, they kept reminding me of the real power of love, which makes you being brave for the ones you care about. I am absolutely in love with these two and how mature their relationship is.

This sequel had me at the edge of my seat from the start. I am amazed things moved as quickly as they did, how the story didn't drag on the conflicts but instead made them deeper, more difficult, adding twists and turns and my head was spinning before I could start to try to figure things out. I loved that everything left unanswered in the first book is explained here, and we finally get to find out what the deal with Thomas was, and it is creepier and scarier than I thought.
 
Another thing I really like is that Ms. Elston doesn't hesitate in adding the real life aspects that make the book all the more uncomfortable and hilarious and of course, more realistic. Like how scared Anna and her sister and Ethan were.  Their emotions so raw and you couldn't help but feel scared and helpless along them. Don't get me wrong, they were brave and did an amazing job at managing their feelings but still, they are only kids, living a horrible nightmare in the middle of a power struggle between drug cartels, I'd be peeing myself.

I also really liked Teeny, Anna's little sister, better this time around. She was more of a character, her personality really coming through and it felt like she was an important part of the book instead of just an added sibling.

I have to be honest here, I might even have liked this book better than the first and that's saying a lot since I loved the first one. I am one thousand percent satisfied and cannot wait for you all to pick this series up. Because when it comes to action and thrill and excitement this series won't let you down. You're in for a wild ride!


Last note: I am crazy about the cover! it makes so much sense and is so synchronized with the story, kudos to the designers.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!